Monday, July 13, 2009

Thing 14

I visited The Kindergarten Counting Book, Salute to Dr. Seuss, and Thousands Project.

On the Kindergarten Counting Book, there was a picture of an item and its corresponding number. Some of the numbers were missing. Another view on it is that those numbers have not been added yet. The pictures included snacks, pencils, blocks, counting bears, etc.

A Salute to Dr Seuss was interesting. I was expecting it to be a little more user-friendly. Once I figured out that the tabs were on the side, I was fine. I liked that it included projects from all over the world as well as students of all ages. One project that caught my attention was the Bubble Share from Km Schafer and Miss Kim's Kindergarten Class. These students were young but still able to contribute to a project of this size. Wow!

The Thousands Project by Mr. Monson's Class was so interesting to me. What a great project. They posted a question each month and tried to get 1000 answers. I even added a post to this month's question.
"What are things you are going to do over the summer months?"
My answers:
406. Go to the Beach with my family.
407. Sleep late.
408. Read books (at least 2).
409. Play with my kids.
410. Play with my dogs.
411. Clean my house....all of it.
412. Watch tv.
413. Take staff development classes.

They need 1000 answers.

Each of these wikis were organized differently. The Counting Book was just a list of pictures of each number. The Salute to Dr Seuss was organized like a project website. It had tabs to each page down the side and detailed information on each page. The Thousands Project was listed by Questions of the Month. Each question took you to a different page where one could edit/add their own information.

This is a wonderful tool I had never heard of. My husband and I were looking at the sites amazed at what you can do with this tool. I can see using this in my classroom. I will have to think about what is coming up. But I am sure I can find ways to use wikis.

No comments:

Post a Comment