Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thing 5

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/16/health/16well.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

I read the post titled "Well- Kid Goes into McDonalds and Orders... Yogurt?". It was an interesting read. As a mother of a young child, 5 years old, we frequent McDonalds and Taco Bell a lot. When we go, it is as a treat. A reward for doing well during the week. My daughter gets to pick whatever she wants to eat and play on the playground. She usually goes in and says to the cashier, "I want ummmm chicken nuggets and french fries and a milk...white milk please.". And that is what she gets, a Happy Meal with chicken nuggets, fries and a white milk.

Over the last year, mainly this summer, I have been trying to teach her to eat better. We are trying to make better choices when we eat. Not choose the cheeseburger or fried item every time. We are ordering healthier items, salads, fruit, and yogurt.

At home, we are eating healthier items as well. Her lunch consists of a turkey sandwich with a slice of cheese (no dressing by her choice), a piece of fruit, a glass of juice or water, and a yogurt for dessert later. She loves it. She is full. She calls the yogurt her "healthy ice cream". It works for me.

Recently, we went to McDonalds and I told her that she had to option of apples or yogurt instead of fries in her Happy Meal. To my husband and and my surpise, she chose apples. We were amazed. I still ordered the fries thinking that she would ask for them later. She never did. We threw them away. I was so proud.

I have decided that in my decision to feed my daughter better at home, she is ordering better at restaurants. The above is just one example of her better choices. She has made many since we have made these changes. It makes me feel better to know that I am teaching her good habits now. When she is older, she will not have to deal with some of the health issues we are faced with today.

I enjoyed reading this article. It had a lot of good information in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment